7/20/09

Brain surgery and recovery

 
 
 

Well friends,
here are some pics I took of myself, certainly not too flattering, but at least gives you a good "picture" of what I look like today and tomorrow...I take off my crown/ turban tomorrow...my neighbor thought it would be fun to have the neighbor kids come over and do a gentle signing of my head dressing, like a cast. Since the kids are so curious about it, that might make me a little less scary to them. But, really little kiddos are doing great, and Addy was especially relieved to give me a Hello Kitty band-aid for my wrist, that is pretty bruised up from 2 different art lines (you can see my battle wound that I am so proud of) I had in it...it looks way worse than where my IVs were, and since it was not covered up, she was glad to have a job to care for Mommy...and all the kids are doing great with me...very curious about my head, but sweet and gentle too. They are having so much fun with the cousins and playing out on our patio...our new grass was just put in, so that is off limits for a few weeks, but our neighbors are so generous with their backyards.

I am so happy to be home, with carperted floors, access to my bathroom at all hours, dvds to watch and books to read, cookies to eat, and actually feeling good enough to read (and I really am not much of a reader, so I did not think that would be a great recovery activity, walk around the house some, hug my kids, sit on the couch for short periods of time and visit my brother and wife... they are TRUE therapy for my soul. We continue to be brought food in abundance, play dates, friends to walk Maya and play with her. Maya's summer school teacher is even spending some afternoons this week with her, what a blessing! Holly has now "mastered" Maya duty and gave Dean a whole night's rest...I am certain he is so grateful!

I slept well last night and am so happy to not have 2 hour periods of time staring at the ICU walls thinking about everything you never get to think about when you are busy with 3 kids all day and super exhausted.

Tomorrow, I get to see what my head "really" looks like and wash my hair, which seems a bit painful to think about...but then I can move on and figure out how to accesorize my new hair do...hat, bandanas, scarves...any suggestions, I am game...not sure I want to shave my head, but you never know!If I do, I will send out a picture of my new look!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Crystal M. said...

Marty,
My thoughts and prayers are still with you, good luck with the hair washing tomorrow.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

skeybunny said...

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Hugs,
Sarah, Jeremy, and Evan

Renae said...

I'm glad to hear you are starting to feel better. We are still praying for you! Love, The Bogner family

Unknown said...

I am glad you are feeling better!see you in 4 days and good luck!

Love,Sonya

Unknown said...

Hi Marty!
I am glad you are recovering quickly. I want to get a chance to sign your "turban" sometime. I'm sure Addy was happy to put a Hello Kitty band-aid on you. :) Good luck with your hair washing tomorrow. See you in four days!

Love,
Katya

Unknown said...

Hi Marty!
I am glad you are recovering quickly. I want to get a chance to sign your "turban" sometime. I'm sure Addy was happy to put a Hello Kitty band-aid on you. :) Good luck with your hair washing tomorrow. See you in four days!

Love,
Katya