7/14/09

Marty is having surgery on Friday

I sent out this e-mail last Friday so it is a bit over-due...so sorry to those who are feeling out of the loop!

Well, as some of you may know I battled some pretty terrible head aches this past week, and had to drop out of some of my scheduled activities, like VBS on Thursday and Friday (vacation Bible School leading at church), and then Maya's HANDLE evaluation Friday afternoon. This morning (Friday) I had an MRI, since I never get headaches, and the one I was dealing with had lasted for 10 days without relief. I did not enjoy my MRI, and was wheel chaired to my car since my head was spinning, and I had been throwing up some from the headache prior to the MRI. Then, I called my Dr. for follow up and was told to come in and they would fit me in. Then, we received a call from another Dr. office stating that he wanted to see me...they did not say why or what kind of doctor he was, all I overheard was that he was fitting me in after his afternoon surgery...so I gathered he was a surgeon, so I got a bit concerned. They told me to come in at 2:30, so Emily Bosh came and drove me to the appt, while my mother stayed with my sleeping girls. Unfortunately, the surgeon never made it back for my appt. as he was on call...HOWEVER, I really got concerned when I read that he was not only a surgeon, but a Neurosurgeon (not a good sign)...As I told Emily I never thought I would ever enter a neurosurgeon's office, she stated that I could cross this off my "to do before I die list" and I made sure she knew, that this would not have been on my list...maybe finishing a marathon, climbing Mt. Rainier (and those would most likely NOT be on my list either:-) )

So, since the doctor never made it back they sent me to my primary care physician, who explained to me the results to my MRI...since no one had yet. My friends are so great...Emily had to get back to her family, as her daughter would be waking up soon to nurse, and her husband was home watching the kids AND he had pnuemonia. SO, Julie came to be with me when Emily left. So, I have what is called a meningioma (Dean found a few links below so you can read or see what one is). It is attached to the front of my brain and is growing, causing a great deal of swelling and pressure on my brain and giving me massive head aches. The good news is that they are rarely cancerous, the bad news is that because it is growing and causing swelling near my brain, it needs to be removed, which means surgery next Friday!!! EEEKS! I am at a higher risk for seizure because of it, so I cannot drive and I am on some hard core medicine for the swelling to go down, to decrease pain, and to keep me from having seizures.

My medicine has kicked in and I am feeeling MUCH better, but a bit loopy from my pain killers:-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meningioma
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/meningioma/ds00901

Tomorrow we have the HANDLE presentation for Maya at the church, and then we will see how to go about next week...Dean is looking at his schedule to see when he can help at home, since I will be on medication, unable to drive, and probably not the greatest play mate for the girls. So if ANYONE wants to play with any of our three girls next week, they would LOVE it! Maya has school Mon-thursday mornings, but Addy and Teya LOVE play dates!!! Addy is abit sensitive right now, so she will most likely bring her binky and blanket along to soothe her, and I will not be pushing the big girl underwear either:-)

Thanks for all the suppport this week, hopefully other than surgery next week will be a bit less dramatic!

Marty

No comments: