9/17/07

Maya's first Day of school






I cannot believe my little girl started school today. She even rode on the bus to and from school, and survived! Actually it is amazing that I survived. I never thought I would be one of those parents, but here I am! I was SO nervous last night...how will Maya be on the bus?, She has so much equipment to take to school for her trach, g-tube, and diapering, I just knew I had forgotten to pack SOMETHING, how will the other kids feel about Maya's differences?, What will Maya think of all these signing kiddos?, what will her teacher think of having a nurse in her classroom when Maya also has a one on one aid?, will Maya get too tired to make it all day?, will people not like all of her secretions?, will the school be able to reach me if they need to?, etc...


So Maya got picked up at 8:08 this morning and wore her cute little "toddler" sized Elmo backpack...she was too cute. I met her at the school with all her school supplies, and walked her in from the bus. She was greeted by two familiar faced kids...who knew her from birth-3 services. One little girl even grabbed her hand to pull her and show her where to hang up her coat and backpack. So Sweet! I left Maya as she got ready to "line up" to go into the room. She got off the bus right outside our front door around noon, and I got to find out all about her day!


Inside her backpack she had done some VERY creative artwork on a big piece of butcher paper and a paper plate. She signed "pencil, draw, and school" a few times, and gave me some very wonderful smiles. I think this school thing is going to be wonderful for her, and I definitely can see how it is going to increase her signing vocabulary and her desire to sign and communicate. I am so proud of my big girl. Dean even made it by for a late lunch and we got to chat all about her first day, and he signed to her about her day as well. It was the perfect closure to her first day!